We begin by borrowing a sporting term, “Form is temporary, and Class is permanent.”
This is true of sportspersons all over the world. This is also true in other fields such as electronics, for instance.
Electronics brands may come and go but brands like Sony remain etched in memory forever. Whenever we speak of quality, especially in the world of televisions the first name that comes your mind is SONY.
Starting off in 1946 as the manufacturer of the first tape recorder in Japan, Sony has certainly come a long way in 2018.
Therefore, one can safely say that SONY is a brand one can safely buy with their eyes closed.
Let us look at some of the path-breaking technologies employed by Sony in the television manufacturing industry.
Table of Contents
- 1 Sony TV Buying Guide
- 2 Best Sony 4K TV
- 3 Best Sony Smart TV (Full HD)
- 4 Best Mid-Range Sony TV
- 5 Best Budget Sony TV
- 6 Final Thoughts
Sony TV Buying Guide
This is the age of 4K. Today, you find all the movies are recorded in 4K. However, it was not the same in the olden days. The same applies to your DVDs and even broadcast television.
Therefore, the 4K that you normally see today in televisions might just not be actually 4K.
Now, you know that Sony never compromises on the quality aspect. Hence, they have come up with the concept of X-Reality Pro, a powerful picture engine that has the ability to convert the normal broadcasts to 4K.
How do they do it?
We shall see the same during the course of this article.
X-Reality Pro is in fact, a smart processor.
Let us imagine watching a move in normal HD. How does X-Reality Pro convert this HD movie into 4K?
Every TV manufacturing company has its individual USP. As far as Sony is concerned, the picture quality is everything that matters. They have coined a new term, Triluminos Display, a technology that enhances color saturation on the display screen. The USP of this technology is that it reduces color fading especially when you view it at an angle or under direct sunlight.
This technology uses the principle of quantum dots capable of emitting light at preset wavelengths. You get shades as close to reality as possible. The Triluminos Display can produce outstanding shades of blues, greens, and reds that other LED displays struggle to do so.
In technical terms, Triluminos is a kind of a filter placed between the white LED backlighting and the display panel. This filter converts the white light into RGB backlighting thereby allowing Sony Triluminos displays to exhibit a variety of colors.
One should also look at what the competitors have on offer. LG’s OLED and Samsung’s QLED TVs display similar display qualities.
This is a smart new world out there. You have smartphones and hence it is no surprise that you have smart TVs as well.
LG has the WebOS whereas Samsung has its SmartHub OS. Sony has introduced Android OS into its smart TVs since 2015.
Android is the most common OS found in smartphones all around the world. Naturally, iPhone is an exception. People have worked on the Android OS at some point in time in their lives. Hence, operating the Android OS is never a problem for anyone.
At the outset, launching the Android OS is one of the easiest things to do. A simple touch on the Home button on the remote control can do the job for you. The Recommendations Shelf presents a neatly arranged list based on your preferences. It gives details of the programs accessed by you as well as what you would like to watch.
The bold fonts and menu displays are attractive. However, there is still room for improvement as they do not go beyond the linking of the Watch TV icon to the TV tuners. One must say that the competitors have equally smart if not better engines for accessing the internet.
The basic advantage of the Android OS is that it is extremely user-friendly. Moreover, you have access to constant updates. Google is always on the lookout for improving its technology.
It may certainly not be the best OS available in the market but it does offer value for your money. All Sony TVs might not have the Android OS but they still earn the right to be referred as Smart TVs.
High Dynamic Range (HDR)
Any discussion on high-end TVs without involving HDR is unimaginable. What exactly is the HDR concept? Let us look at the concept in brief.
Brightness is one aspect of TV. Contrast is more important as it allows you to go into the details of every image. A layman definition of TV contrast is the difference between how dark and bright the display can get.
Dynamic range describes the extremes in this difference and the details it can show in between.
Sony’s 4K HDR TVs can deliver a richer and more vibrant display as compared to the conventional LED / LCD TVs. You will be able to appreciate the dark shadow regions and the areas of sunlight on the screen in a better manner. This is very evident in the telecast of sporting and other live events.
HDR allows you to capture greater details from the black and the darker areas of your display screen. Watching horror movies on Sony 4K HDR TVs can be a spine-chilling experience because of the intricate details the TV display can capture.
Motion Flow Rate
You must have heard of the words ‘Refresh Rate’ whenever you venture to purchase a TV. You must have seen figures such as 50 Hz or 60 Hz mentioned in the specification sheets.
What is the refresh rate? This is nothing but the number of frames the TV can refresh in one second. Naturally, the higher the figure, the better it will be for viewing.
Comparison of Sony with its principal competitors
Sony has the reputation of adhering to the strictest quality norms at all times. This is an inherent quality of Sony. In fact, all Japanese products such as Sony, Mitsubishi, etc are famous for their quality control measures. There are no half measures as far as Sony is concerned.
Hence, it has retained its premier position as one of the leading manufacturers of electronic items, especially TVs in the world. Sony has the distinction of never compromising on the cost of the appliances as well. They have a loyal clientele ready to pay the price for ensuring the highest quality standards.
Merits and Demerits of Sony TVs
One should always have knowledge of the merits and demerits of Sony TVs especially when you venture to purchase one. Let us look at the positive features before listing out the demerits.
1. As far as picture quality and overall appeal are concerned, Sony is the safest bet. This is one the greatest advantages of going for Japanese products. They never compromise on the quality aspect.
2. The Motion Flow Rate concept of Sony is a reasonable one considering all circumstances.
3. The Android OS might be sluggish as compared to the WebOS of LG but is nevertheless popular because of the user-friendliness and the greater availability of apps.
Demerits of Sony TV
1. Sony never compromises on the price factor. Hence, you can find the prices of Sony TVs to be on the higher side in comparison to similar models of its competitors.
2. Sony might not have many models in the budget range but they do have some exquisite models in the high-end range.
3. In comparison, LG models are cost effective even though the picture quality of Sony TVs is incomparable.
Good things do not come cheap in the world. Sony TV is one of them. They are expensive by normal standards but the costs even out in the long run. Sony TVs have a longer lifetime as compared to similar other TVs. Research is evidence to this fact. Considering the above, Sony TVs are worth giving a try primarily for its picture quality and visual appeal.
Best Sony 4K TV
Model: X940E / X930E
You have different variants of Amazon. In addition to the 75-inch model, you get the 55-inch and 65-inch models as well. Some of the exemplary qualities of the TV are listed hereinbelow.
- 4K and HDR.
- New 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme.
- Full Array boosting and dimming technology.
- The Triluminos display.
- Enjoy the best of Android apps on this smart TV.
- Two powerful image improving databases work in tandem to upscale every image to the level of 4K.
- You have noise reduction facilities of the highest order as every single pixel is enhanced by the 4K HDR Processor X1 Extreme.
- Four front-facing speakers delivering dynamic and immersive sound.
- Motion Flow XR 960 allows easy viewing of fast-moving action scenes
- You can enjoy lifetime Live TV streaming with PlayStation Vue.
Best Sony Smart TV (Full HD)
You have some attractive deals on the 43-inch as well as the 50-inch variants on Amazon. You get all the qualities of Sony 4K HD TV in these models. Let us look at the salient features of this smart TV.
- Triluminos Display
- X-Reality PRO engine
- Dual Acoustic Duct Subwoofer
- The speakers double up as a stand for your TV in case you decide to place it on a table.
- This is a smart TV of the highest order with the Android OS.
- Google Cast
- Voice Search
- Notify Bravia app
- Control your DTH and TV with a single remote using the IR Blaster.
- Watching Netflix movies on this TV is possible.
- View 3D images of the highest order on this TV.
- X-Protection PRO to shield your TV from electrical surges and short circuits.
Best Mid-Range Sony TV
Get attractive discounts on Amazon on this mid-range Sony TV. You have two variants, the 43-inch and the 49-inch TV in this brand. Let us look at the excellent qualities of this mid-range TV.
- Triluminos Display
- X-Reality PRO engine.
- Excellent viewing angle.
- Clear Audio+ experience and BASS subwoofer
- Sleek and slim design matches with your other furniture as well.
- Enjoy YouTube and Netflix instantly as the Sony TV is compatible with both.
- X-Protection Pro
- USB and HDMI ports are available to enable you to play video clips etc.
- Screen mirroring feature.
- Navigating in your preferred Indian language is possible.
Best Budget Sony TV
Sony Bravia has some excellent budget models as well. The best one in this category is undoubtedly the W672E series, available in 3 screen sizes, 32-inch, 40-inch, and 49-inch. You can take absolute advantage of amazing deals available on Amazon. These are some of the essential and exciting features of this budget range TV.
- The X-Reality Pro engine
- The built-in BASS woofer
- Clear Audio+ feature.
- Plug and Play arrangement.
- This is a Netflix compatible TV.
- Playing music and video clips by connecting your USB is easy.
- Multi-Indian languages feature.
- Screen mirroring feature.
- X-Protection Pro feature.
There are hundreds of smart TV models out there in the market. Sony stands out among them for the simple reason that they never compromise on picture quality. Choosing the Sony Bravia should not take time after going through this buying guide and product review.
We shall end with a quote from Akio Morita, the co-founder of Sony. “Don’t be afraid to make a mistake but make sure you don’t make the same mistake twice.” Hence, if you have another TV now, it is never too late to switch over to Sony Bravia.